the rivers state police command says it is deploying fifteen thousand five hundred and forty four personnel for the Saturday 9th march 2019 election in rivers state,
the commission of police in river state USMAN BELEL stated this at a press briefing in port Harcourt. he said the the 15,544 personnel will be complemented by the deployments from other sister agencies to cover and protect the 23 LGAs, 319 wards,4,442 polling units and 2.424 voting points in the state, to ensure full security coverage of the with three security personnel each posted to a polling unit. there will also be outer perimeter deployment of armed men to guide against infiltration and hijack of the process by hoodlums or persons that want to ferment trouble.
he said apart from the deployments made to cover and protect the voting areas, there will be in place a joint convoy patrols of security agencies to cover the entire state, with special attention to INEC offices across the state.
he continued ” for the purpose of the elections all entry and exit points in and out of the state will be blocked by the security personnel to guide against infiltration into the state by miscreants or persons not authorized to be in the state at that material time.
restriction of movement on election day according to CP USMAN BELEL ” In order to regulate and curtail the activities of mischief makers and provide a conducive environment for the people to exercise their franchise unhindered, the inter Agency consultative committee on election security (ICCES) after her meeting yesterday, agreed tom place the following restriction orders
- that there will be total restriction of movement of persons , vehicles, boats , vessels or any mechanically propelled engine both on land and waterways , between the hours of 12 midnight on Friday 8/3/2019 to 6pm on Saturday 9/3/2019 except those on essential duties or duly authorized by law and eligible voters.
- The stretch of waterlines to GRA Junction on the port Harcourt Aba Expressway will be closed to all road users on both lanes from 12 midnight Friday 8/3/2019 till further notice . the public is hereby advised to avoid this stretch, as there will be diversion of movement from GRA junction and at the waterlines junction.
- That very important personalities (VIPs) and politicians and barred from going to any voting center with their security details or orderlies. they are further warned to desist from moving from one place to another on election day, as provided by the electoral guidelines and act. ” Note movement is strictly restricted from place of abode to the voting and back.
- No canopies should be erected close to any polling unit by food vendors or any commercial activities carried out close to any polling unit.
- The CP Usman further pledge to do his best to sustain the existing relationship between the press and members of the public.