Home News New Zealand Mosque Shooting Claims 49 Lives

New Zealand Mosque Shooting Claims 49 Lives

280
0

Flowers are placed on the front steps of the Wellington Masjid mosque in Kilbirnie after a shooting incident at two mosques in Christchurch. Attacks on two Christchurch mosques left at least 49 dead on Friday, with one gunman — identified as an Australian extremist — apparently live streaming the assault that triggered the lock down of the New Zealand city

New Zealand police investigating the mosque massacre in Christchurch have evacuated residents living near a property in the city of Dunedin that they believe is linked to the attacks, officials said.

Police said the property, located some 350 kilometers (220 miles) from Christchurch, was “of interest” in relation to the mosque attacks which left 49 dead.

“Evacuations of properties in the immediate area have taken place as a precaution,” police said in a statement.

The New Zealand “Police says it’s aware there is extremely distressing footage relating to the incident in Christchurch circulating online,” “We would strongly urge that the link not be shared. We are working to have any footage removed.”

The manifesto detailing motivations for the attack was posted on Friday morning onto a Twitter account with the same name and profile image as the Facebook page that streamed the attack.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed the attacker at the Masjid al Noor mosque was an Australian.

“We stand here and condemn, absolutely the attack that occurred today by an extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist,”

New Zealand authorities said that three people had been arrested, but their identities were not made public.

They later announced one man, aged in his late 20s, had been charged with murder and should appear in court on Saturday.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here