Home News Health Professional Conspiracy: Military Prosecutors Grill 3 DRCongo Doctors Over The Killing Of...

Professional Conspiracy: Military Prosecutors Grill 3 DRCongo Doctors Over The Killing Of A Cameroonian Doctor During The April Attack On Ebola Center In DRC

198
0

Three doctors from the Democratic Republic of the Congo have been arrested for their alleged role in the killing of a World Health Organization (WHO) doctor in April, according to military prosecutors.

Cameroonian doctor Richard Mouzoko was shot and killed during an attack on a hospital in Butembo, a city in North Kivu province and an epicenter of the Ebola response in the country. He had been sent to the eastern region as part of the WHO’s attempt to stop the spread of the disease’s outbreak, the second deadliest on record.

A military prosecutor for Butembo, Lieutenant Colonel Jean-Baptiste Kumbu, told AFP news agency that the arrested doctors will be charged with “terrorism” and “criminal conspiracy”.

The three medics are accused of holding meetings on April 14 to plot the assassination of Mouzoko, the prosecutor said. A fourth doctor suspected to be involved in the April 19 killing is still at large, he added.

Kumbu said captured members of an armed group believed to be behind the killings implicated the four doctors during interrogations.

Prosecutors did not allege a motive for the arrested health workers, but a treatise left behind at the attack site had previously lead prosecutors to believe the assailants belonged to the armed group, the Patriotic Union for the Liberation of Congo, the Reuters news agency had reported at the time.

The arrests were decried by doctors in Butembo. ln a letter to the mayor of the city, the local branch of the DRC’s national doctor’s council said they would go on strike if their colleagues were not released within 48 hours.

Medics in Butembo had previously protested and threatened to strike if security was not increased for health workers in the area.

“With the outbreak of the Ebola crisis going on, people are very worried about the consequences of a strike of medical staff going ahead.”

The DRC’s coordinator for Ebola response, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, called the investigation a “delicate situation”.

“As a man has died, we absolutely have [to] know the truth about what happened,” he told AFP.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here