The world over has condemned the continued killing of blacks in south Africa but it appeared as if the black south Africans is insisting on killing their fellow AFRICANS from other continent as One person was reported killed in a renewed xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg, police chief confirmed.
Gauteng police spokesperson, Captain Kay Makhubele, who also confirmed the death said that five people had been injured.
This casualty was also confirmed by the President, Nigerian Union South Africa, NUSA Adetola Olubajo, in a text message which read, “Police has confirmed one person dead and five injured.”
A group of men, some of whom wielded sticks, pangas and tree branches, reportedly marched through the city centre after disrupting a meeting in which the President Emeritus of the Inkatha Freedom Party, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, spoke to hostel residents following a week of deadly xenophobic violence.
Makhubele said 16 people were arrested for public violence and possession of stolen property.
Several shops were forced to close their doors as the protesters damaged property and looted several businesses.
Meanwhile, NUSA is calling on all Nigerians to stay away from hot spots where the ongoing violent protest march by Zulu hostel dwellers in Johannesburg is taking place and equally be at alert as it may spread across the province of Gauteng and beyond.
The Publicity Secretary of the union, Habib Salihu, in a statement yesterday, said this was to avoid a repeat of the violence recorded last week which led to “monumental loss of properties and innocent lives.”
The Zulu hostel dwellers were said to have walked out and disrupted a gathering which was being addressed by Buthelezi earlier on Sunday and marched around Jules street towards MTN taxi rank and Bramfontein chanting “foreigners must leave the country” songs.
The statement read, “The demonstration is still ongoing, hence we have warned/alerted our people/structures through various media platforms affiliated with our organisation.
“We urge the law enforcement agents to please be proactive in dealing with the prevalent situation so that lives and properties of inhabitants in the Republic, especially African foreign migrants that appear to be the primary target, are protected.
“Our mission in Johannesburg has also been informed.” Adetola added.