The World Health Organisation count losses as fire guts down the vaccination storage facility at the Ayegbaju Market in Osogbo, Osun State
an eye witness said, the fire started from a generator close to the WHO storage facility at about 12:13PM from one of the generators that powers the building where vaccines were stored.
He said “We quickly moved to remove the cars parked close to the fire and mobilized to put out the fire. “But unfortunately, my motorcycle parked close to the storage facility was consumed by the fire while helping to remove the cars,” he said.
The Osun WHO Immunization Officer and State Cold Vaccine Coordinator, Mrs. Adeosun Adebola, told NAN that the cold vaccine storage office was not affected by the fire, but the dry vaccine outlet was razed by fire.
She said a 60KVA generator, one 12KVA generator and two 18 KVA generators were also affected. Other items destroyed to the fire are two photocopier machines and two motorcycles.
“I61,795 pieces of 0.05ml needles and syringe, 633,871 pieces of 0.5ml needles and syringe, 10,575 pieces of 5ml needles and syringe, 3,976 pieces of 2ml needles and syringe were destroyed by the fire.
“8,654 pieces of immunization safety boxes were also destroyed by the fire,” she said.
A maintenance official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they applied self-effort to put out the fire from affecting and spreading to other buildings and stores within the market.
He said the state fire service were contacted when the fire started but they had to quickly fetch water from the surface water tanks around, while people also helped to put out the fire before the fire service came.
“But unfortunately, the storage facility was completely razed,” she said.
Men of the state fire service could, however, be seen going through the remains of the fire to ensure the fire was completely put out.