Home News  Japan Worst Storm In 60 Years: Typhoon Hagibis Kills 5, 11...

 Japan Worst Storm In 60 Years: Typhoon Hagibis Kills 5, 11 Missing, 90 Injured With 7 Million Persons Displaced

238
0

Five persons have been confirmed dead and several others missing as Japan endures what could be its worst storm for 60 years.

The eye of Typhoon Hagibis made landfall shortly before 19:00 local time (10:00 GMT), in Izu Peninsula, south-west of Tokyo.

It is now moving up the eastern coast of Japan’s main island, with wind speeds of 225km/h (140mph)

More than 270,000 homes have lost power, Japanese outlet NHK reports Two people died after homes were swept away by landslides – a man in Tomioka, Gunma Prefecture, and a woman in Sagamihara near Tokyo.

A man in his 60s was found dead in an inundated apartment in Kawasaki, south-west of Tokyo, while a woman fell into a waterway and drowned in Tochigi, another victim, a man in his 50s, was found dead in an overturned car in Chiba.

11 people were reported missing and more than 90 had been reported injured.

More than seven million people have been urged to leave their homes amid severe flood and landslide warnings, but it is thought only 50,000 are staying in shelters.

Japan’s Meteorological Agency (JMA) has warned that half a metre of rain could fall on the Tokyo area between midday on Saturday and Sunday. “Unprecedented heavy rain has been seen in cities, towns and villages for which the emergency warning was issued,” JMA forecaster Yasushi Kajiwara told a press briefing

Many bullet train services have been halted, and several lines on the Tokyo metro were suspended for most of Saturday.

All flights to and from Tokyo’s Haneda airport and Narita airport in Chiba have been cancelled – more than a thousand in total.

Two Rugby World Cup games scheduled for Saturday were cancelled on safety grounds and declared as draws – England-France and New Zealand-Italy. The cancellations were the first in the tournament’s 32-year history.

Sunday’s Namibia-Canada match due to take place in Kamaishi was also cancelled and declared a draw. The US-Tonga fixture in Osaka and Wales-Uruguay in Kumamoto will go ahead as scheduled on Sunday, organizers said.

Meanwhile, a crunch game between Scotland and tournament hosts Japan on Sunday will now go ahead. The decision followed a safety inspection.

Formula 1 also postponed Saturday’s qualifying races for the Japanese Grand Prix “in the interests of safety for the spectators, competitors, and everyone at the Suzuka Circuit”.

By Saturday afternoon local time, footage and pictures showed several rivers had breached their banks. They include the Tamagawa, which flows through residential areas of Tokyo.

ministry official said “There were parts where the bank was not fully built. We had been dealing with it by sandbagging, but water started overflowing,” land

Many locals stocked up on provisions before the typhoon’s arrival on the authorities’ advice, leaving supermarkets with empty shelves.

Japan weathers about 20 typhoons a year, but Tokyo is rarely hit on this scale.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here