After more than a MILLION candidate jostled to write UTME FOR 2019, The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has said over 500,000 spaces were not utilized in the 2018 admissions processes to tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
JAMB weekly bulletin obtained from its site showed a total of 1,126,025 quotas for universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and innovation enterprise institutes for its 2018 admissions in the country’s tertiary institutions
According to the bulletin, a total of 585,498 quotas, out of the total sum, were utilized, while a total of 527,815 slots were not utilized in the 2018 admission process.
The board’s Head of Media, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, in a telephone interview with NAN, explained that the release of the official statistics became necessary in order to ensure transparency.
He added that it was also meant to do away with misleading information about the entire previous processes.
Benjamin noted that the board hoped to utilize 80 to 90 percent of the available spaces for the 2019/2020 admission.
He said the over 300,000 candidates who met admission requirements had so far been offered placements into universities for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The JAMB spokesman explained that the board’s projection for this year’s admission was to ensure that candidates utilize more available spaces, unlike in 2018 where about 40 percent of spaces were not utilized.
NAN also reports that the board had earlier stated that it would adhere to its admission deadline.
According to JAMB, the first choice admission for public universities, which commenced on August 21, will last till November 16; while that of private universities, which commenced on August 21, has February 15, 2020 as deadline.
The board also said the second choice admissions for public universities would commence from November 17 till December 17.