China is battling to contain a deadly corona virus in Hubei province, as hundreds of millions of Chinese prepare to celebrate the Lunar New Year.
Beijing and Hong Kong have cancelled some major festivities to prevent large crowds gathering.
Wuhan and other cities in Hubei have seen far more draconian measures, with public transport suspended.
On Friday, Chinese authorities said the death toll had risen to 25, with 830 confirmed cases. Of the confirmed cases, 177 were in a serious condition and 34 have been “cured and discharged”, the National Health Commission said.
There are also 1,072 suspected cases, it added. Almost all of the deaths have been in Hubei – the virus emerged in the province’s capital, Wuhan.
The World Health Organization has not classed the virus as an “international emergency”, partly because of the low number of overseas cases – currently 13.
“It may yet become one,” said the WHO’s director-general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
The US said on Thursday it was investigating its second suspected case. US authorities said a second suspected case was being investigated, in the state of Texas.
A health official said the patient had travelled from Wuhan and was a student at Texas A&M University, north of Houston.
The only confirmed case in the US so far is a man in Seattle, Washington state. He is said to be recovering and is due to be released from hospital.
Many authorities have announced screening measures for passengers from China, including on Thursday the major airport hubs of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Taiwan has banned people arriving from Wuhan and the US state department warned American travelers to exercise increased caution in China.
What are the fears for Lunar New Year?
It is one of the world’s largest annual migrations of people, with millions of people returning to their hometowns to celebrate.
The authorities have cancelled all large-scale celebrations in Beijing. Temple fairs are banned, film releases postponed and the Forbidden City will be closed to the public.
Hong Kong cancelled an international carnival and an annual football tournament.
China has effectively quarantined nearly 20 million people in Hubei province, with no planes or trains in or out of Wuhan. Roadblocks have also been reported.
There have been long queues – and some squabbling – at food stores for diminishing stocks.
Face masks are compulsory in all public places in Wuhan and some residents are saying it is like a ghost town.
Other nations are investigating suspected cases, including the UK and Canada.