Home NewsHealth 2 Death And 79 Confirmed Cases Italy Impose Lock-down Measures To Tackle Coronavirus: Cancels Serie A Football Matches

2 Death And 79 Confirmed Cases Italy Impose Lock-down Measures To Tackle Coronavirus: Cancels Serie A Football Matches

by Anita Ogona

Italy has introduced “extraordinary measures” to tackle the spread of the biggest outbreak of the century, the new coronavirus in Europe.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced the emergency plan late on Saturday as the number of cases rose to 79.

The measures were imposed after two Italian citizens were confirmed to have died from the virus.

A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been effectively quarantined under the plan.

Around 50,000 people from towns in two northern regions have been asked to stay at home by authorities.

Mr Conte said it would now be forbidden to enter or leave the outbreak areas, unless special permission was granted.

All school and sports activities have been suspended in those areas, including several Serie A football matches due to take place on Sunday.

Police, and if necessary the armed forces, will have the authority to ensure the regulations are enforced.

Italian authorities fear the virus has gone beyond the isolated clusters of cases in Lombardy and Veneto, making it difficult to contain.

Health chief Giulio Gallera said “The contagiousness of this virus is very strong and pretty virulent,” Lombardy’s.

The new coronavirus originated in the Chinese province of Hubei last year, but has spread to 26 countries, where more than 1,400 cases and 11 deaths have been confirmed.

 

You may also like

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.