The Federal Government on Monday said Nigeria had 40 coronavirus cases and one death caused by the disease.
The National Centre for Disease Control on its twitter handle said the cases had increased to 40. It said “Four new cases of #COVID19 have been confirmed in Nigeria. Three are in Lagos State and one in the FCT (Federal Capital Territory). Two of these cases are returning travelers
The NCDC announced the new cases just as the Federal Government ordered complete closure of land borders to human traffic and postponed the Federal Executive Council and the Council of State meetings indefinitely.
The Federal Government also advised Lagos and Abuja residents to stay at home to prevent the spread of the disease.
Giving an update on COVID-19 cases, The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire said the Federal Government would publish names of people who refused to go into self-isolation after returning to Nigeria from countries with high burden of coronavirus.
He said Nigeria could be heading the way of China and Italy, which had recorded high number of coronavirus cases and deaths. The health minister said some people who had been infected were hiding.
FG to publish names of returnees who ignore self-isolation
On Monday, Ehanire said although the country had not enforced isolation, it would take any step to ensure that those who were returning to Nigeria from high risk nations did not infect others.
He said some of the returnees had been hiding while also pleading with them to take the right approach. “We have not come to forced isolation, but we have had occasion to go after those who came from abroad and have not registered their presence and have not gone into self-isolation. We will publish their names until they volunteer themselves and be put under investigation.