A STATE-WIDE BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY, NYESOM WIKE, GOVERNOR OF RIVERS STATE ON THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2020
My Dear Good People of Rivers State.
You will recall that three days ago, Government imposed 24 hours’ curfew from Education Bus stop to Agip Junction, Ikwerre Road and Obiri Ikwerre Junction to Ozuoba, Rumualogu and Choba.
This became imperative because residents of these areas flagrantly disobeyed the sit-at-home order that was designed to contain the spread of coronavirus.
As a responsive government, we promised that all directives issued during this period will be reviewed from time to time.
After a meeting of the State Security Council today, the following decisions were taken.
- With effect from Tomorrow, April 3, 2020, the 24 hours’ curfew imposed from Education Bus Stop to Agip Junction along Ikwerre Road and Obiri Ikwerre Junction to Ozuoba, Rumualogu and Choba has been lifted.
- All Borders and Markets in the state remain closed.
- Following the interventions of some well-meaning citizens of the state, the suspension of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area has been lifted. However, this should serve as a warning to Local Government Chairmen and Traditional Rulers who will allow markets to be open in their areas.
- Residents of Mgbuosimini-Rumueme in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area are hereby warned to desist from flouting Government directive on closure of markets or be prepared to face unpleasant consequences.
- Commercial vehicle operators will soon get appropriate directives on their operations in order to maintain social distancing.
- Implementation of palliatives to cushion the effect of recent directives on the citizens will soon take effect.
- International Oil Companies operating in the state should support government by donating towards the containment of the virus.
My Dear Good People of Rivers State, let me sincerely thank all of you for your patience and understanding all these days.
The sacrifices we are all making have greatly helped us not to record any positive case since the index case was reported.
As we continue to put in our best as human beings, we expect that the Almighty God will intervene on our behalf and wipe away this plague from our midst.
May I therefore urge you all to continue to seek the face of God as we earnestly await His divine intervention.
Thank you and God bless.