RE. GUNMEN RAID COMMUNITY, KILL SEVERAL PEOPLE, CART AWAY CORPSES:
The attention of the Rivers State Police Command has been drawn to an Online report credited to one Justin Wabah, the Youth Leader of Bunu Community ‘that unknown gunmen invaded the Community, killing several people and taking their dead corpses to an unknown destination’
1. Ordinarily this seemingly spurious and ill conceived report should have been ignored and consigned to the dustbin of history, as same is speculative and unverifiable but in order to allow the unsuspecting public form an opinion arising therefrom. It has therefore become increasingly necessary to put the records straight and state the true position as follows:
2. That the Bunu Community in Tai LGA is known for its traditional peaceful nature and has so enjoyed it in recent times .
3. The report that unknown gunmen invaded the Community is for all intents and purposes unfounded, baseless and existed in the imagination of the reporter.
4. That no report of killing was received by the DPO nor the Area Commander In-charge of the Bori Area Command.
5. That the phantom report is only intended to cause panic and tension in the LGA.
6. That when our attention was drawn to the report; for whatever it was worth, the Commissioner of Police, CP Joseph G Mukan psc (+) invited the Traditional Ruler of the Community, Chief Godwin Ndegue and the Youth Leader, Justin Wabah, the said reporter and while with him, they both denied knowledge of the report, adding that they were quoted out of context and dissociated themselves from it.
7. To this end therefore, the public is hereby enjoined to disregard the said malicious report, as same is aimed at destabilize the equilibrium.
8. The CP once again wishes to reassure the good people of the LGA and indeed residents of the State that there is no cause for alarm, while noting that the harbingers of this fake news will face justice.
SP Nnamdi Omoni
For: Commissioner of Police