In keeping with the Directives of the Inspector General of Police, IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu, NPM, mni on checking the excesses and sanitizing the Special Anti-Robbery Squad in all the States of the Federation, the Commissioner of Police Rivers State, CP Joseph G. Mukan psc (+) has directed that the spirit and letter of the IGP’s Directives must be fully carried out to its logical conclusion.
The CP made this declaration after a meeting with Members of the Management Team in his Office whom he directed to closely monitor the enforcement and ensure total compliance, noting that the CP’s Monitoring Team will be fully re-energized to enforce compliance and compliment the efforts of the IGP’s X-Squad deployed to the State.
2. Recall that a Release from the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba dated 4th October, 2020 clearly banned the FSARS and other Tactical Squads from Routine Patrol on the streets.
3. According to the Release the Inspector General of Police has banned FSARS, STS and IRT from conventional low-risk duties- stop and Search, check Point, Mounting of road blocks, Traffic Checks etc with immediate effect.
4. The IGP has warned that no Police Officer including personnel of FSARS, STS and IRT is authorized to embark on patrol or tactical assignment in mufti.
5. He has equally directed that FSARS, STS and IRT personnel must appear in their Police Uniforms or approved Tactical gear while on official assignment.
6. The IGP also banned the indiscriminate and unauthorized search of Mobile Phone, Laptops and other smart devices.
7. He directed that personnel of FSARS and other Tactical Squads concentrate and respond only to cases of armed robbery, Kidnapping and other violent crimes when the need arises.
8. The IGP has ordered the X-Squad and the monitoring Unit to monitor and arrest erring personnel of FSARS and other Policemen on the road.
9. The IGP warned that henceforth, the CP in-charge of FSARS, CPs in-charge of State Commands and FCT as well as their supervisory Zonal AIGs will be held liable for misconduct of personnel of FSARS and others within their jurisdiction.
10. In line with paragraph nine (9) above, the IGP has charged the affected AIGs and CPs to ensure an effective supervision of personnel of FSARS and others within their jurisdiction.
11. The IGP has appealed to citizens not to allow the misconduct by a few personnel of the Force to negatively impact on their confidence and trust in the Police.
12. The Commissioner of Police wishes to appeal to the residents of the State to rekindle their trust in the Police as this measure by the IGP will in no doubt reposition the Force and inspire confidence and therefore assures them of improved Police services in the days ahead, while enjoining them to call the following numbers in the event of infraction, unprofessional conduct, abuse of rights by the personnel of these Departments or any Police Departments whatsoever.
i. IGP Monitoring Unit — 08036242591
ii. CP FSARS — 08038537825
iii. Force Public Complaint — 07056792062
iv. Complaint Response Unit— 08057000001—call only 08057000003 – Whatsapp only
v. Rivers Command Control Room— 08032003514
vi. DC OPS –08035902114
vii. DC CID – 08033046079
viii. CP Monitoring Unit — 08035437061
ix. PPRO — 08033396538
SP NNAMDI OMONI
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
RIVERS STATE COMMAND