VISIT OF THE FEDERAL DELEGATION TO THE SOUTH-SOUTH GEOPOLITICAL REGION.
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu, NPM, mni today joined the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari and other Federal Ministers and National Assembly Members from the Zone to Rivers State on a one-day Interactive Session with the Government and People of the region among other stake-holders at the Banquet Hall of the Government House, Port Harcourt, essentially to interact, feel the pulse of the region for purposes of making appropriate recommendations to the President and Commander-In-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
2. In his remarks, the Inspector-General of Police thanked the Governments and People of South-South geopolitical zone for the warm reception accorded them. He recalled sadly, the unfortunate incident that led to the attack of Police Stations in some States of the Federation under the guise of #ENDSARS protests where Policemen were killed, Stations attacked, Arms/Ammunition among other properties looted.
3. The IGP in the strongest terms condemned the mindless and senseless attacks and accordingly conveyed the heartfelt condolences of the Nigeria Police Force to the families of the deceased Officers who were gruesomely murdered unjustifiably. He promised to stop at nothing until the killers are arrested and brought to justice, while reassuring the forum that the Force will not be discouraged nor deterred but will remain firm and focused in ensuring that their lives and property are protected, promising to deliver quality policing services to the nation.
4. Welcoming the Delegation, the Chairman of the South-South Governors’ Forum and the Delta State Governor, His Excellency, Sen. (Dr.) Ifeanyi Okowa, on behalf of the Government and People of the region, heartly welcomed the Delegation to the Interactive Session and thanked God for making the day possible as it is a veritable platform to articulate and aggregate the concerns of the region and for possible solution. Among the request highlighted in the Communique issued by the region “is the Restructuring of Nigeria and true Federalism”.
5. Responding on behalf of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the leader of the Delegation, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, thanked the Government and People of the region for their steadfastness and for being able to come together and articulate their demands, he however promised to channel their Requests to the appropriate quarters for necessary action.
6. Others who spoke during the session include:
i. Hon. Minister of Communication and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed
ii. Hon. Minister for State Petroleum, His Excellency, Chief Timipre Sylva
iii. Mr. Festus Kayamo, SAN
iv. Hon. Minister for Niger Delta, His Excellency, Chief Godswill Obot Akpabio
7. The occasion was graced by the following personalities:
The Governor of Bayelsa State, Sen. Douye Diri, Governor of Cross River State, Prof. Ben Ayade, Governor of Akwa-Ibom State, Emmanuel Udom, Governor of Delta State, Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa, Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki and the host Governor, His Excellency, Chief (Barr.) Nyesom E. Wike, including Traditional Rulers, Eminent Personalities, Women leaders, Youths and other critical stake-holders from the region.
SP NNAMDI OMONI,
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
FOR: COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
RIVERS STATE COMMAND,