Edo CP Withdraws Auchi DPO Over Killing Of Suspect Who Attacked Apostle Suleman’s Convoy in Police Cell
The Divisional Police Officer, DPO in charge of Auchi Division, Edo State has been withdrawn following the reported killing of one of the gunmen alleged to have been involved in the attack on Apostle Johnson Suleman, general overseer of the Omega Fire Ministry, Auchi.
The Commissioner of Police in charge of Edo State Command, [AIG] Abutu Yaro, ordered the withdrawal following revelations that the gunman was apprehended alive and handed over to the police in whose custody he was reportedly killed. In a viral video, a voice said to be that of a policeman said:
“One of the kidnappers that was caught today (Friday) while the DPO, CSP Ayodele Sulaiman, led the operation along Iyewe-Auchi Road, and after a gun battle, this one (suspect) was gunned down while others escaped with bullet wounds. Bush combing is ongoing.”
Apostle Johnson Suleman had immediately retorted that his attackers were not kidnappers but assassins sent after him and expressed conspiracy on the killing of the gunman.
“Lies…there weren’t kidnappers… He was caught and handed over and the police killed him immediately…Why killing him on the spot? Who is trying to cover up traces?” the preacher retorted in a tweet late on Friday. In a follow-up, on Saturday, the outgoing police commissioner in the state, Abutu Yaro, ordered an investigation and that the DPO had been withdrawn over the killing of the alleged attacker of Apostle Suleman.
“As part of the measures of the Command concerning the circumstances that led to the death of one of the surviving members of the monstrous gang that attacked the convoy of Apostle Johnson Suleiman, General overseer of Omega Fire Ministry, the outgoing CP now AIG Abutu Yaro fdc has ordered the withdrawal of CSP Ayodele Suleiman, DPO Auchi for debriefing at the State Headquarters with immediate effect,” said the statement signed by Edo police spokesman, Iwegbu Jennifer.