The Nigerian military has made fresh arrests in connection with an alleged plot to overthrow the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Among those reportedly detained is Major H. Yusuf of the Nigerian Army, a member of the 57 Regular Course who recently completed his Senior Course at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji.
Major Yusuf is said to be in custody alongside other suspects over what authorities have described as a coup plot, although details of the alleged conspiracy remain sketchy.
Investigations into the matter have been ongoing since 2025, but no formal trial has commenced, and the specifics of the alleged plan have yet to be made public. Observers have described the situation as opaque, noting the limited official disclosures so far.
Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa (retd.), recently revealed that he was among senior officials allegedly marked for elimination by the suspected plotters.
Speaking on Sunday Politics on Channels Television, Musa said the conspirators planned to arrest him and shoot him if he resisted.
“I was also a target,” the minister said. “I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot.”
His disclosure came days after the Armed Forces confirmed that some of the 16 officers arrested in October 2025 would be prosecuted for allegedly attempting to overthrow President Tinubu’s administration.
In October, the military announced the arrest of 16 officers for what it then described as acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.
However, authorities in January 2026 said further investigations uncovered evidence linking some of the officers to a plot aimed at destabilising the government.
In a statement, the Director of Defence Information, Samaila Uba, said findings indicated that certain suspects were involved in actions “inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.”
He added that those with cases to answer would be formally arraigned before a military judicial panel in line with the Armed Forces Act and other relevant service regulations.
Alleged Wider Network, High-profile Targets
According to SaharaReporters, sources said the alleged plot extended beyond the military hierarchy, with reports suggesting that several top government officials and prominent Nigerians were listed as potential targets.
The attempted coup has also been linked in some quarters to the cancellation of Nigeria’s 65th Independence Anniversary parade, though authorities have not officially confirmed the connection.
Separately, the residence of former Bayelsa State governor, Timipre Sylva, in Bayelsa State was reportedly raided over alleged links to the plot, but no formal charges have been publicly announced.
General Musa dismissed the suspected coup plotters as lacking the seriousness and capacity to challenge the military.
Nigeria experienced a series of military coups between 1966 and 1993 before returning to civilian rule in 1999. Since then, the country has maintained democratic governance despite persistent security and political challenges.
The latest allegations come amid a wave of military takeovers and failed plots across parts of West Africa, including a reported coup attempt in neighbouring Benin Republic late last year.
Police Inspector, 35 Officers In Custody
It was reported earlier that a police officer, Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim from Taraba State, was arrested alongside military officers accused of involvement in the alleged conspiracy.
Ibrahim was reportedly picked up in Abuja by operatives of the Defence Intelligence Agency and is currently in the agency’s custody.
Reports revealed that about 35 military officers are being held over the alleged plot. The detained personnel include an Army Brigadier General, two Colonels, five Lieutenant Colonels, a Wing Commander, eight Majors, a Lieutenant Commander, two Squadron Leaders, five Captains, and a Lieutenant.
Also in custody are 10 non-commissioned officers comprising a Warrant Officer, five Sergeants, one Corporal, and two Lance Corporals.
One of the detained Army Captains, identified as A. Yusuf, is from Osun State, while Squadron Leader Zuzu of the Air Force is from Bayelsa State.
Reports indicated that the remaining officers are largely from northern states and the Federal Capital Territory, with three from the FCT alone.
Two senior officers, a Brigadier General and a Lieutenant Colonel, are from Nasarawa State, while six, including three NCOs, are from Niger State. Others affected are from Katsina, Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Gombe, Bauchi, Kebbi, Jigawa, Zamfara, Taraba, Yobe, Kogi, Sokoto, and Adamawa states.
One of the officers, a Colonel, was said to be undergoing a course in a North African country at the time of his arrest.



