Peter Obi Condemns Attack On Supporters By Suspected APC Thugs, Urge Security Agents To Bring Culprits To Book
Mr Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has vehemently condemned the attack on its supporters by suspected thugs loyal to the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Alhaji Bola Tinubu.
The former governor of Anambra State said the civic space must not be shirked, calling on security agencies to protect the fundamental human rights of citizens. He said, “As we go into the final stretch for the 2023 elections, I call on all Nigerians regardless of political affiliation or tendency, to eschew violence. I condemn any form of violence and political thuggery; and especially the incessant attacks on my Obidient supporters. “I call on the security forces nationwide to protect those exercising their fundamental rights of free speech and assembly. Our civic space must not shrink further,” Obi said in a tweet on Saturday.
Meanwhile, four persons have been confirmed injured by the Lagos State police command. According to the Force spokesman, Benjamin Hundeyin, investigations into the attack had commenced. Hundeyin, who confirmed the attack said, “The Jakande Ward Chairman of the Labour Party commendably reported an attack on his party members at Ilasan Division. Four injured persons have been given medical attention. The Divisional Police Officer, Ilasan, has commenced preliminary investigations while the State Criminal Investigation Department is to fully take over investigations.
“The injured and other witnesses are assisting the Police with relevant information that would aid the apprehension and prosecution of the attackers. “This attack is reprehensible! It is verifiable that the Command had stationed, since yesterday, patrol vehicles and officers at the Tafawa Balewa Square venue of today’s rally. We had already secured the venue to prevent any breakdown of law and order,” Hundeyin said in a series of tweets on Saturday.