Rivers Police Parade 4 Suspected Car Snatchers/Thieves, Recover Cars, Arms, Ammunitions
The rivers state police command says it has arrested criminals operating in the state in various operations of the command.
The state commissioner of police CP Emeka Nwonyi while briefing newsmen in port Harcourt, said the command made the following arrest as detailed below:
ARREST OF SUSPECTED ARMED ROBBER
1. Rivers State Police operatives on Sunday, 15/10/2023 at about 1018hrs while on routine patrol along NTA Road sighted a black Toyota Corolla 2005 model with chassis number 2TIBR32E43C138983 and Rivers Reg. No. NDN 525 PG.
The said car was brought to the station. Upon search, a locally made revolver pistol with 3 x 9 mm bullets and a cutlass were recovered.
The suspect, Destiny Amma ‘M,’ 29yrs old, has been detained while a preliminary investigation is underway to determine his culpability in the matter.
ARREST OF CAR SNATCHER
2. The Rivers State Police Surveillance Team on Monday, at about 1230hrs based on an intelligence report, arrested one Samuel Chinedu ‘M,’ with 16 different car keys at Redeem Church Sam Wobo Street.
The suspect confessed that he came to the church to steal a car.
An investigation has since commenced to ascertain his cohorts and other relevant information.
ARREST OF SUSPECT/RECOVERY OF FIREARM
3. The CP Strike Force attached to the Rivers State Police Command on Saturday, 14/10/2023 at about 0700hrs, acting on credible information mobilised to Chokota, Igbo-etche, Rivers State, arrested one Victor Jonah ‘M,’ aged 25yrs.
One double-barrel gun and one single-barrel gun were cut to size, and substances suspected to be hard drugs were recovered from him.
The suspect and exhibits are in police custody as further investigation is in progress.
ARREST OF A SUSPECTED CAR THIEF
4. The Rivers State Police Operatives patrol team on Friday, 20/10/2023 at about 2030hrs arrested one Tony Christopher ‘M,’ at Anyama car dump who removed a Jetta car with Reg. No. AJ 44 KMR parked at the Education bus stop.
The suspect was arrested with a master key while attempting to sell the vehicle as scrap before he was caught.
The owner of the car, one Aniekan Edward ‘M,’ of No. 65 Obidianso Street, Mile 2, Diobu, was immediately contacted.
A preliminary investigation is in progress.
RECOVERY OF ABANDONED VEHICLE
5. Rivers State Police Operatives on Saturday, 21/10/2023 at about 0800hrs, upon credible intelligence having it that a Mazda car with reg. no. DJ 686JJJ, green colour, was abandoned along Egede by Lumumba Street, Mile 2, Diobu.
The police patrol team mobilised to the scene and recovered the car at the station.
The car is believed to have been snatched from the victim to commit a heinous crime.
The Police Control Room has been contacted to disseminate the information for the car owner to come forward.
ARREST OF SUSPECTED CAR SNATCHERS
6. Rivers State Police Operatives arrested two suspected armed robbers on Monday around 200hrs while patrolling along Presidential Junction.
One bolt driver named Kelechi picked up four men, and because of their body language, he stopped the car and pretended that the car was faulty.
The police patrol team met them while they were trying to snatch the car from the bolt driver David Victor ‘M,’ and Gift Felix ‘M,’ with a sharp knife, while the other two ran away with arms.
Investigations are ongoing to arrest the fleeing criminals.
Curbing crime in our society is a collective job. I am calling on residents of the state to be open and supportive of security operatives in fighting crime and criminality.
Thanks for your support, as always.