Boat Mishap: Governor Bassey Otu Orders Indefinite Suspension Of Cruise Operations At Marina Resort
Cross River State Governor, Senator Prince Bassey Otu, in further response to the cruise boat accident at the Marina Resort, Calabar, on Saturday, June 24, 2023 involving 14 medical students with three feared dead and 11 rescued, has directed as follows:
1. That all cruise boat operations and other activities at the Marina Resort be suspended immediately until further notice.
2. That the cruise boat operators with the management of the State Tourism Bureau are directed to attend a meeting in the Office of the Secretary to the State Government on Tuesday, June 27th, 2023 by 12pm.
3. Besides the cruise boat operations, the State Ministry of Transport is to immediately cross-check the safety standards and conditions of all boats operating in the Calabar waterways.
4. That the Police should speed up their investigations of the fatal boat accident and prosecute those found culpable to serve as deterrence to others.
5. The governor further sympathizes with the families of the affected students over the unfortunate incident.
Chief Press Secretary to the Executive Governor
Cross River State