EL-Rufai Jets Out Of Nigeria, After Withdrawal Of His Ministerial Nominee
Former governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, has jetted out of the country after withdrawing his interest in ministerial appointment
A credible source revealed that El-Rufai was off to Europe, but will be in Egypt first. The senate had last week approved the appointment of 45 out of the 48 ministerial nominees submitted by President Bola Tinubu. El-Rufai, and two other nominees; Stella Okotete (Delta) and Danladi Abubakar (Taraba) were not confirmed as the senate said they were awaiting security clearance about them.
Recall how Sunday Karimi, senator representing Kogi west, presented a petition against el-Rufai during his screening last week. The former governor met with Tinubu at the presidential villa in Abuja, on Tuesday, but the outcome of the meeting was not made public.
But Premium Times quoted presidency sources as saying El-Rufai told President Tinubu that he was no longer interested in becoming a minister, but would continue to contribute his quota to the development of Nigeria as a private citizen. “He also told the president that he needed time to focus on his doctorate programme at a university in The Netherlands,” PT quoted another source to have said.
Another source was quoted as saying that El-Rufai suggested a new ministerial nominee — Jafaru Ibrahim Sani — to get the appointment for Kaduna.