Rivers State Elders, Leaders Forum Issues 8 Point Communique, Urge Security Agents Not To Worsen The Already Tensed Atmosphere
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF RIVERS ELDERS AND LEADERS FORUM HELD ON DECEMBER 17TH, 2023.
The Rivers State Elders and leaders Forum met today December 17th 2023 in Port Harcourt under the leadership of His Excellency, Chief Rufus Ada George, former Governor of Rivers State.
The Forum reviewed the outcome of its previous meetings and follow up actions which include letters seeking audience with our sons; the Executive Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, and Chief (Barrister) Nyesom Wike, Former Governor and presently, Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The Forum reviewed the embarrassing and dangerous ongoing happenings in Rivers State and by extension Nigeria, viz: attempt to impeach Sir Siminialayi Fubara, Executive Governor of Rivers State, bombing of the Rivers State House of Assembly Chambers, attack on the life of the Executive Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara allegedly by some security agents on Monday 30th October, 2023 and other acts of impunity and lawlessness which portend great dangers to the peace and security of Rivers State and Nigeria as a whole.
After an extensive deliberation and consideration of the issues, the forum resolved as follows:
1. The Forum regretted that neither Governor Siminialayi Fubara nor Chief (Barrister) Nyesom Wike responded to our letters seeking for audience with each of them.
2. The attempt to impeach the Governor of Rivers State barely about six months in office without explaining to the good people of the State, the reasons and infractions of law is UNACCEPTABLE.
3. The Forum condemn every form of violence and lawlessness in Rivers State and therefore demand proper investigation of the crisis and those responsible be brought to Justice.
4. The Forum reviewed the demolition of the Rivers State House of Assembly by the Rivers State Government and urged the Government to expedite action on rebuilding the demolished House of Assembly Complex so that law makers will continue their legislative business in the permanent site within the shortest possible time.
5. The Forum condemn in its entirety, the misuse of Rivers people political power vested in politicians by the people for personal gains and interest. Hence, we condemn in its entirety, the recent defection of twenty seven law makers without recourse to their constituents.
6. The Forum is aware of and thus rejects, the news making the rounds on social media of Forum Shopping And Purchase Of Legal Instruments outside Rivers State to cause crisis. “An alleged already written/ premeditated court ruling by one Justice Donatus Okorowo of Federal High Court
8 Abuja on an EXPARTE application secretly filled in the night by Pro Wike former lawmakers which the Judge wants to deliver tomorrow been Monday where he wants to stop the declaration of their seat vacant (an action that have been done) and also give them the legitimacy to move in with DSS and police to start the illegal impeachment of Gov. Fubara”.
The foregoing is disturbing and generating serious tension in Rivers State, and thus giving the Forum great concern.
7. We therefore urge the judiciary and all security agencies to be wary and alive in discharging their responsibilities in order not to worsen the already tensed atmosphere in Rivers State.
8. Finally, the Forum urge His Excellency, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to consolidate on his earlier intervention as the consequences of inaction may not only affect Rivers State, the Niger Delta Region and the Federal Government. The Forum owes this solemn truth as a duty to the Federal Government.
God bless Rivers State and her People.
God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
His Excellency, Chief Rufus Ada George CON GSSRS.
Rear Adm. O. P. Fingesi (Rtd) OFR.
HH Anabs Sara Egbe.
Emeritus Prof Dagogo Fubara
HRH N. L. A. Ede Obolo II,
Captain Christian Nwankwo
Eze Tony Woherom
Ms Ankio Briggs.
High Chief Marcus Atata (JP)
Dr Kio J. Tams
Aseme Alabo Prof. E. T. Bristol Alagbariya,
Sen Wilson A. Ake
Dr Silva Opusunju,
Sen Ben Birabi